Men's Health Is Wealth!
Men are equally as special and important as women. We want to celebrate and encourage the men in our lives to live long, strong, healthy, and happy. Statistically, men avoid health checkups and the doctor more often than women. So, it's vital that we all motivate one another to live our best lives by taking care of our bodies.
Statistics reveal that men are more likely to develop habits that are dangerous to their health, i.e. alcohol and drug abuse. Men have higher rates of suicide compared to women. Therefore, it's extremely important to be aware of these facts so we're safe and secure, no matter what's going on.
What are the elements of a healthy lifestyle?
To have an overall healthy lifestyle, you must nurture and maintain various aspects of your life. Practicing these habits can lower men's risk of heart disease and stress-related illnesses. The five main elements of a healthy lifestyle include:
- A nutritious diet
- Regular exercise
- Adequate sleep
- Stress management
How do you achieve a healthy lifestyle?
For each of the five components of a healthy lifestyle, consider the following habits:
- Maintaining a balanced diet is essential to looking and feeling your best. Experts recommend a varied diet that includes vegetables, fruits, carbohydrates, lean protein sources, and healthy fats. A good diet will also limit the amount of added sugar and processed foods that you eat.
- Experts recommend that individuals engage in a minimum of 150 minutes of physical activity every week.
- Sleep is an essential component to your physical and emotional wellbeing, yet many do not prioritize it. The National Sleep Association recommends that individuals sleep between seven to nine hours a night for optimal functioning. Getting adequate sleep can improve your health, such as with weight management.
- Developing stress management strategies can help you feel more relaxed, thereby improving your mental and physical health. Strategies include engaging in regular physical activity, eliminating stressors, or seeking counseling.
- To promote your mental health, you should engage in activities and surround yourself with people you enjoy. Ensure that you commit time and energy to things that are both healthy and make you feel good.
Maintaining these healthy lifestyle habits can be hard to balance. However, with proper prioritization, planning, and time management, it is possible to balance healthy habits. The average life expectancy rate for men in the U.S. is 76 years old while women's is 81 years old. Replacing bad habits with healthy ones helps! For example, men should start yearly colon screenings at age 45 for prevention or early detection of colorectal cancer.
What are unhealthy lifestyle habits?
When poor lifestyle habits persist, they can damage your overall health. Such habits should be limited or eliminated to be your best self. Examples of unhealthy lifestyle habits include:
- Being sedentary
- Not getting enough sleep
- Abusing drugs and alcohol
- Eating unhealthy foods in excess
- Not drinking enough water
- Not attending regular check-ups with your doctor
When to seek professional help to maintain your health?
If you find yourself struggling with any of the unhealthy lifestyle habits above, it may be time to seek professional help. A professional can help you develop strategies to combat unhealthy habits to maintain a healthier version of yourself. If you are looking to better your overall lifestyle, consider seeking advice from a doctor, nutritionist, personal trainer, or therapist.
Research shows that women thrive by regularly communicating and socializing with their friends. Men also are nurtured through their friendships. Carve some regular time out with your friends. It'll do your heart and body good!